Sunday, November 27, 2016

On dieting and budgeting

It just so happens that I hate both, but I have to do both.  Why, you might ask?  Well, if I don't diet and budget my life is going to continue to (ahem,) suck!!!

I was realizing today as I was walking into Target to return some impulse purchases, that I stopped having money when I started having credit cards.  My financial life is one of deep debts and dark secrets, but I believe that I can turn it around--again.  You see, this is not my first debt rodeo.  This is actually my third time being in debt and my third time that I am trying to work my way out of it.

The question, then, should be, why do I keep going into debt?  The last time I worked my way out of  of debt, I swore (a la Scarlett O'Hara) that I would never be in debt again.  Yet, here I am again.

So, I decided that I'm going to write/blog about my own getting out of debt story.  I have read/heard a lot of financial advisors such as, Dave Ramsey, Howard Dayton, Mary Hunt, and others and I know that their plans are solid.  Yet, I always regret not putting into practice the awesome advice of Larry Burkett in the early 2000s. I would listen to his radio program religiously, but unfortunately, I did not follow his advice religiously.

There are a lot of reasons why I did not follow his advice; mainly it was because I was a stay-at-home mom and did not feel like I really had any control of the money.  Even though, I must admit that I ran the finances.  I am going to chronicle my successes and failures starting today.

I find myself in more debt that ever.  But, I know that I can get out of this mess once again.

As far as my weight...what can I say?  I have been here before too.  My weight goes up and then it goes down, but I have noticed an upward trend that is now causing me alarm.  I have tried Jenny Craig and have had success, but I have no wish to spend the money for Jenny Craig.  My slim down starts tomorrow.

No comments: